5 Methods to Make your New Years Fitness Resolution Stick
By CrossFit Black Bear | December 16, 2016
We all know that New Year’s Resolutions get a bad reputation in the fitness world. Everywhere you look nowadays people ridicule anybody who even hints at the fact they are setting a New Year’s Resolution of getting in shape. I am here to tell you to ignore the internet trolls and haters. You can make the fitness lifestyle you have dreamed of permanent…it will just require some planning and hard work.
Everyone scoffs at the deluge of new gym members in January, and somehow feel vindicated when they start to peter out in the middle of February. I want you to imagine how you would feel to finally be one of the few who stuck with it. One of the few who got stronger as things got harder, and who finally made fitness a part of your life for good.
“Imagine how it would feel to finally be one of the few who stuck with it”
I’m here to tell you that despite the failed attempts, and no matter how much you try to justify your skepticism, you can make 2017 the year that health became a priority, and you were finally on your way to a fitter and happier you.
To make this a reality we have broken it down into a few manageable points:
- Ease into it. Seriously. If you are scanning this list, and you get one thing from this post, make sure it is this point. This one fact, however simple it may sound, will literally make or break your resolution! Quitting all the processed foods, sugar and inactivity at the first of the year is about the worst thing you can do. Instead, make a list of all the things you are doing or eating that may be hindering your progress. And start making changes to the easiest ones. We call this “picking the low hanging fruit”. For example, if you drink 2 sodas each day, try cutting it back to one each day. A week or two later when this becomes more habitual, then start having a soda every other day and substituting a seltzer or other zero calorie beverage in its place. Small changes make the most lasting results. Start SLOW! I can’t stress that enough. If you need proof, just make a list of all the diets or workout regimines you may have tried that required drastic overhauls…how many have you sustained and continue until today?
- Start with the basics. If you are reading this, you are a beginner. I don’t mean to offend anyone by saying that, but you need to start simple. I don’t care if you used to be a varsity athlete, or personal trainer in the past…the fundamentals are paramount to creating sustained success with any program, and avoiding burnout. I know it is tempting to start a program that you may have seen a celebrity advocate on their Instagram, or jump on the latest “taco cleanse”. These are distractions. Start simple.
- Track your progress. The journey you are about to start will not be easy. There will be times that you want to quit, or revert back to your old ways. Keeping an accurate log of your progress will show you just how far you have come. It is easy to get bogged down in the minutia of our day to day decisions. Having the ability to step back and view the whole journey, and see all the progress you have already accomplished may be the difference between falling off the wagon or making the permanent change.
- Find a support network. Join a community of like-minded people who have also decided that they want to make the healthy change for themselves. Surround yourself with a network of positive influencers who will hold you accountable to showing up and putting in the work every day. Feel free to come out of your shell at the gym. Make friends at the gym…crack jokes, be goofy, but most importantly, be yourself. Outside of family and work obligations these very well could be the people you spend the most time with.
- Make it a lifestyle. Diets, challenges, cleanses..by nature these are temporary fixes to a life-long challenge. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that there is a magical destination you will reach when you finally achieve your fitness goals. It is about truly incorporating healthy habits into your daily life and enjoying the process. Find enjoyment in the little things. Does going to the gym feel like a chore? Stop going to that gym! You should be excited to go to the gym because it makes you feel good!
So there you have it folks. Now go out and make 2017 the year you finally make that permanent healthy lifestyle change!
If you would like some support on this journey, we are currently accepting new members for The Black Bear Bootcamp! A 6-week jumpstart program that will help teach healthy habits and efficient functional exercise so you can start to make these small incremental changes that will lead to sustained success over the upcoming 2017 year.
Learn More: The Black Bear Bootcamp
Is your current fitness routine leaving you stagnant and needing more? We are also currently accepting members on a limited basis for our CrossFit Fundamentals program! This is the fastest and safest way to get into our CrossFit program, and start seeing the body composition and fitness goals you are looking for.
Learn More: CrossFit Black Bear Fundamentals